Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blog Reflection

     Dear Readers (Mrs. Hayes),
     The first quarter blog is finally finished, and I can't say I was overjoyed about my grade. The Amimoto grade was good, but I would have liked to have done better on the blog grade. I believe I received a 78% overall on the blog and a 100% on the Amimoto. Although I don't have the final graded project in front of me at the moment, if I remember correctly I lost points mostly based on the brevity and lack of critical thought in my follow and respond segment. I believe I also lost a couple points for my picture blog, based on the fact that I recreated the plot of the first chapter through pictures instead of sticking to the prompt and using pictures of the overall themes and moods of the book. I was surprised to see points deducted from my picture blog, as I thought it was my strongest overall post, but I did stray a small bit from the given directions, so I'll have to make sure not to do that again. As for the follow and respond, I agree that the comments were too short, and had even thought about revising it, but didn't know it would end up being as big of a point deduction as it was. Although I wasn't quite sure how these flaws translated into a 78, I could see the overall reasoning behind the deduction of points for those two things, and the number of those points is an issue of the past.
     Now on to the future; I can already see my blog for this quarter being much better than the first. For one, the book I chose for this quarter is much more relatable than my book for the first quarter. It was a bit of a problem trying to come up with topics of discussions in my blog posts when I couldn't really relate or get into the book, but I'll get into more depth about that momentarily. Things I plan to improve upon are the length of my posts (seeing as how I lost points for the comments being too short) and stricter interpretation of the directions (based on  my feedback for the picture blog). Speaking of feedback, I also plan to consult my teacher, Mrs. Hayes about each week's blog post, that way I'll know more of what I need to change and have an opportunity to get it fixed, so the final grade won't come as as much of a shock.
     Back to the book for this quarter; I chose The Great Gatsby, another classic. This book is a bit more modern than my previous book, Around the World in 80 Days, which I found to be a bit dry. I believe that "Gatsby" has aged a bit better than "Around the World" has, and only 20 pages in, I already look forward to reading more. I feel like I can really get into this book, so hopefully my blog posts of the future will demonstrate that.

Regards,
Brandon Blewett

1 comment:

  1. Brandon, I think you did a really good job explainig your stengths and weaknesses you had in your first quarter blog. I can really relate to how you felt about your grade because I was also disappointed with mine. I like how you pointed out what mistakes you made that you would make sure not to make this semester.Dont lose your enthusiasm on blogging due to your bad grade. I beleive in you and that you have the ability to bring your grade up this quarter to satisfy you. This quarter really focus on paying attention to the blog prompts and understanding what is being asked of you in the particular blog post. If your asked to create an overview instead of summarize specific sybmols themes make sure you try to do so. I know your capable of getting a better grade on your blog so dont give up Brandon!

    ReplyDelete